Monday, February 23, 2009

Gone but not forgotten

I've had these images for some time and not sure if I have ever shown them to anyone. The gentleman pictured is a relative who suffered from Alzheimer's Disease. It slowly and painfully robs you of your mental and physical capabilities. When you want to brush your teeth you pick up a razor. Things like that in the beginning. Your long term memory is all that you have only until that is gone as well. You feel alone and confused beyond belief. The late stages are horrific. Complete mental and physical shut down. Unable to do anything for yourself. The pictures you see here taken in the middle stages of the deterioration.

I realize these pictures are depressing. I only show them because the man featured was a wonderful human being and I was reminiscing and celibrating his brilliant life as an educator at the highest level (obviously before the disease) and as a solid man and friend. He helped me get through a lot of life's struggles as a teenager and young adult.

These pictures help me remember in these tough financial times that there are far greater things to value and appreciate in life than money and job security like health, family, happiness, friends, animals, nature, etc. etc.

Celebrate life! The rest will follow.





































1 comment:

Rodger said...

Those are really sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

But that's a very cool way to use your talent in photography to memorialize him.

You have a good perspective on life. Celebrate the little things. There's so much to be happy about.

Keep up the awesome pictures.